Thursday 29 August 2013

Tandem novel - fifteen thousand words - this was supposed to be a romance novel

TANDEM 
a G3 whistleblower novel 


so, my intention with this novel, at least when I was thinking about it, and then writing it, travelling around France, for a month, away with family, was to go for a more stripped down i.e. twisted romance novel in the vein of my first novel Red Hedz.

In that 1998 short novel from Creation Press, a psycho-figurative artist dates a very strange girl and all hell breaks loose while the relationship resolves itself. I brought back three notebooks of material from my holiday abroad and at the fifteen thousand words (typed in) stage, I'd say I'm two thirds of the way through notebook #1. Now, this may be deceptive as the first notebook is an English notebook I took over there (and filled very quickly) the other two notebooks are French ones and may be slightly smaller. I'd say they were two thirds the size, so we're looking at 45,000 raw words, that's before any amendments/additions/rewrites or other ideas cram their way into the story.

I wanted this new novel Tandem to be like that 1998 novel; at least in intimacy, in flavour. And it's almost there, save that the writer of Red Hedz has had a whole lot more life under his belt, is a little more jaded. The narrator, this time, is a female lawyer Lorien Howell who is managing the property empire of a man known only as Actor Arrenay (for reasons of client confidentiality). He's created this Market, it's his back-up plan for when World War Three finally kicks off.

"Who are we kidding, World War Three is ON as of the 1950's," says Actor Arrenay. And he goes into great detail why. He justifies his claim with whistleblower evidence and an industrial facility out in the hills in Rio that's just plain insane, can't exist.

And why Lorien? What's her role in AA's plan? Will she survive the G3 endgame?

No comments:

Post a Comment