Friday 30 August 2013

Tandem novel - original cover idea - 20,000 words typed-in mark

original cover idea
I've just passed the 20,000 words typed in mark and I'm still only 2/3 of the way through notebook #1. I suspect that notebooks #2 and #3 are no longer than 20,000 words, so the typed-in version'll probably be about 60-70,000 words max.

There are still some not-yet-typed-in paragraphs from early in notebook #1. Couldn't work out whether they fit or not. But I'll eventually end up folding them into the back-engineered mix. There's also a large chunk of 'narrative speculation' that took place 2/3 of the way into notebook #1: not something that can be typed in, just a guide to where 'this writer' thinks his novel might benefit from going.

Yes, rewriting one's own books from long-hand notes is a bit like taking an alien space ship apart and hoping you can put all the important pieces back together again later.

I've been thinking about combining some of the shorter chapters into a longer chapter structure. I mean, I might end up doing this throughout the book - who knows how this book's going to turn out? Two shorter notebooks to go after this. I'll post the final type-in figure once we get there.

Didn't like this cover, when I first did it, but it's growing on me.



No comments:

Post a Comment