Wednesday 4 September 2013

Tandem novel - thirty thousand words - first notebook 'typed in'.

that's it then: the first notebook of three has been fully typed in, edited, reworked, it's like Draft 1.5, somewhere in the middle of a series of detailed notes taken in long-hand and a final submission in document format.

The first notebook then was thirty thousand words.

I've done this before, over-estimated how long one of my novels is, or might turn out to be. Usually they come out at about 45-50,000 words. And even though there are two (slimmer, French) notepads to go, I might be closer to 50,000 than 60-70,000 I guesstimated in an earlier post.

I'm really happy where the novel's going, even if I've hacked and rewrote quite a different flavour or 'romance' into the book thus far, compared to what I brought back from my hols. I like the pace of it, when I thought the start of the novel was a little too pedestrian, a little too relaxed. I alter'd that, so that we're off and running basically at page one. I appreciate 'build up' but I don't wanna be associated with a 'slow burner'. I'm like a FAST BURN sorta guy, I like spectacle, and suspense. Drama and revelation.

Here's a special EXCERPT from the Tandem novel, just so you remember it's all a game:

Think back. Way back. To 1938. Oppenheimer and Tatlock. The first Tandem in recorded history. You're looking at the page going 'Oppenheimer, the father of the atom bomb?' Yes, that T Robert Oppenheimer, controller of Jean Tatlock who was by this time so close to destroying the earth that a special 'smother' operation took place in the Nevada desert we know today as Trinity. In fact, so disruptive was the Trinity event that it nudged itself forward in time some seven years. And all the history books have remained untouched, until now. Nuclear weapons didn't exist until the latter part of the 20th century. Nukes started out as a cover story for the Tandem operatives, it was up to The Atomic Energy Commission to research and eventually find a way to 'split the atom' and Operation Tulin took place. That was as late as 1991. 

No comments:

Post a Comment