Friday 6 September 2013

Tandem novel - thirty five thousand words - power of dreams

it's ironic, isn't it? Ironic that in a book about 'dreams', or at least the financial exploitation of said, the solution to why one of the characters would have in their possession a 'dream diary' would come from a dream ... a dream the writer had this morning.

Chapter eighteen of Tandem is titled: A WET WEEKEND IN WALES

I passed the 35,000 words mark in the 'type in' last night and I was left with a quandary, "Why did 'this character' have a dream diary on their person?" I mean, I understood that such a diary could be used as a cynical plotting tool to help the story along and show what might need to be done to finalise the narrative. I could see how it would be USEFUL, I just couldn't see why it would EXIST at all.

This morning I had my answer: in a dream. I had 'wondered' about this 'dream diary' last night, though I hadn't 'formulated' any 'dream question' or anticipated any Kekule (the discoverer of benzene's structure) Moment. But there it was, "The 'dream diary' is needed to show that 'this character' has STARTED dreaming."

It's the starting dreaming that is HIGHLY IMPORTANT in a novel like Tandem; you'll see why when it's done and you can read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment